JJ

JJ
Go Jimmie, go Chad, go 48 team!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cup Drivers In Nationwide

Marty Smith: Debate about Cup drivers racing in Nationwide won't get settled until NASCAR makes a decision - ESPN.

As readers know, I enjoy seeing the non-Cup drivers win in Nationwide (there has been one this season). But does this mean that there should not be Cup drivers (or discouragement to do so) in NNS? I'm thinking no. It probably teaches the new drivers a lot to race with experienced drivers.

One solution would be to have less points if entered in Cup races that weekend, so harder for a Cup driver to get a championship.

One change that for sure should happen in NNS is some sort of play off situation like the chase. Watching BK runaway with the Championship is a little tiresome.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that BK always at the top is getting more than a little tiresome.
    Although I don't follow your suggestion for less points if entered in NWS.

    If less Cup drivers enter it could have a negative affect on NWS. Cup drivers (and DP) bring more viewers/money, which all teams need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you are saying Max. Good point on the need for Cup drivers because of money and viewers. Those are key to a successful NNS.

    I guess the whole issue is how to give non-Cup drivers a chance. The whole points reduction scenario would just make the Cup drivers have to work harder at getting Championship which would mean non-Cup driver would have chance.

    Though KB apparently would have no problem since he is 4th even though he is racing a part time schedule. I guess if you win 8 races you can do that-- even if you've made the Douche List.

    Back to getting a chance, I suppose if the non-Cup driver can't keep up with the big boys, he or she shouldn't expect to win or place well in the NNS.

    As I type, I'm talking myself out of the points reduction idea.

    But I'm still firmly in the need a Chase-like system camp.

    Plus the 12 (I'll use the nickname because I can't spell the real name, Little Gator) needs to up his game. He has proven he can make a good/funny commercial now he needs to race like he promotes.

    ReplyDelete